Timbawood were asked to create a bespoke Victorian front door from a design our client had chosen and asked us to replicate.
The striking black and white 1920s property in North London featured a poorly replaced front door that was in a state of disrepair. However while the front door needed to be completely replaced, it was important that we kept and restored the unusual Victorian grill above the door, which was wrought iron and in fact older than the house itself.
This attractive feature with a delicate leaf pattern was around 160 years old so it was vital to retain this feature and create a new front door that complemented its design.
We worked with our client to create a double door set featuring raised and fielded panels and bolection mouldings. The door was made of Accoya timber, which is our first choice of timber because of its incredible strength, durability and stability – so it doesn’t warp, even when wet.
When we removed the Victorian grill to clean it up and strip the paint off, we discovered that the door number was made of brass – and had probably been added to the grill at a later date, perhaps shortly after the house was built.
When we repainted the grill we decided to leave the door number unpainted, so the attractive brass was still visible and could be matched to the polished brass hardware that our client chose for the front door itself.
As with all our front doors, we used full perimeter compression seals for maximum thermal efficiency. The curved top light behind the grill featured sandblasted glass and thermally efficient double glazing.
Bespoke Victorian Front Doors
At Timbawood we specialise in made to measure traditional timber front doors for any era including Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian properties, combining authentic period designs with modern twists such as slimline double glazing, toughened glass and Accoya timber for optimum security and insulation.
As specialists in timber front doors for period, conservation and listed properties, we can carefully match your existing door, or work with you to create a unique design that stays true to the character of your property.
With Timbawood front doors, the wide range of options include:
- Solid Accoya timber, which won’t swell or warp, with alternative options in Oak
- Specialist glazing options including slimline double glazing, patterned glass, laminated security glass and acoustic glass for improved sound insulation. We can also replicate existing stained glass designs, or retain the original stained glass in a new front door.
- High security hardware, with security hinge bolts and Era nightlatch and deadlock as standard
- Suited key options to reduce the number of keys
- Fully customised options for panelling and mouldings, hardware, glazing and paint
- Factory applied spray paint finish for low maintenance
- Full weather detailing for long term performance
- Full perimeter draught proofing
- Full design, supply and install service
If you’d like to find out more about the range of front door options available, please get in touch with one of our experts to arrange a free survey or quotation.
We also specialise in bespoke single and double glazed timber windows and doors for period, conservation and listed properties, including timber sash windows, casement windows, French doors, internal/ fire doors and bifold doors.