Sometimes we are asked to replace a door or windows and retain most of the original features and design, while making some minor adjustments to suit the client’s needs.
One such example is this Edwardian front door in Hampton, South West London.
Our client wanted to retain the unusual glazed design of the original door, with its distinctive oval shaped glazed panel and grid-like glazing bar design, but remove the narrow side light to the left of the front door.
Our in-house technical team put together some technical drawings of our solution (see right) which included widening the door to the entire width of the doorway, thickening the door frame and removing the side light completely. We fitted double glazing with toughened glass and adjusted the glazing bars to compensate for the additional width of the door, by adding additional glazing bars to the same overall pattern.
We also replicated the solid timber panel in the lower section of the door, which featured a ‘raised and fielded’ panel with bolection mouldings.
The door was made with Accoya timber, our first choice of timber because of its remarkable durability and stability whatever the weather, and given a spray paint finish with 3 coats of high performance microporous paint.
Made to Measure Edwardian Front Doors
At Timbawood we specialise in made to measure traditional timber front doors for Edwardian, Victorian and Georgian properties, combining authentic period designs with modern twists such as slim double glazing, toughened glass and Accoya timber.
As specialists in front doors for period, conservation and listed properties, we can carefully match your existing door, or work with you to create a unique design that stays true to the character of your property.
With Timbawood front doors, the wide range of options include:
- Solid Accoya timber, which won’t swell or warp, with alternative options in Oak
- Specialist glazing options including slimline double glazing, patterned glass, laminated security glass and acoustic glass for improved sound insulation. We can also replicate existing stained glass designs, or retain the original stained glass in a new front door.
- High security hardware, with security hinge bolts and Era nightlatch and deadlock as standard
- Suited key options to reduce the number of keys
- Fully customised options for panelling and mouldings, hardware, glazing and paint
- Factory applied spray paint finish for low maintenance
- Full weather detailing for long term performance
- Full perimeter draught proofing
- Full design, supply and install service
To speak to one of our specialists about the range of possibilities available, or to arrange a visit to our showroom and get a quotation, please get in touch.
We also specialise in made to measure timber sash windows, casement windows, French doors and bifold doors.